The idea of making General Tso's tofu came from the request from diners who are looking for vegetarian dishes. It is a pan-fry tofu dish coated with the same sauce for General Tso's chicken. The tofu soaks up the flavor like a sponge and makes it exceptionally flavorful.
For marinating the tofu (A)
- 600g of firm tofu (2 blocks)
- 1 tsp 5-spice powder
- 4 slices ginger, bashed
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
For the Sauce: (B)
- 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For sautéing (C)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons scallion, cut
- 1 dry red chili (optional), cut to 2cm sections
- Sufficient cornstarch to coat the tofu
- Chopped scallion and red chili to garnish
- Cut the firm tofu into 1-inch squares.
- Prepare the marinade for the tofu by combining the ingredients in A.
- Bring it to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Marinate the tofu for one hour.
- Coat the tofu with cornflour.
- Pan-fry the tofu until golden brown.
- Coarsely chop the garlic, ginger, and scallion.
- Prepare the General Tso's sauce by combining ingredients in B.
- Saute the aromatics until fragrance.
- Add the General Tso's sauce.
- Add the tofu and combine well.
- Garnish with chili and scallion. Serve.
Source: Taste of Asian Food. Reproduced with permission.
(Full details at https://tasteasianfood.com/general-tso's-tofu/)