Aloo gobi (alu gobi) is a classic Indian vegetarian dish made with potatoes and cauliflower. It is usually cooked with some spices and with onion and tomatoes.
The main ingredients
- 200g (7 oz) cauliflower, cut into 1.5-inch florets
- 200g (7 oz) potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 medium-size onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 medium-size tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1 green chili, coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- /2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Cut the cauliflowers to about 1.5-inch florets and the potatoes to about three-quarter inch cubes.
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- Cut the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Chop the garlic, ginger, and green chili.
- Saute the chopped onions over medium heat until translucent
- Transfer the onion to the blender and blend with the chopped tomatoes to become a paste.
- Fry the potatoes in shallow oil for four to five minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and fry for another 4 minutes.
- Remove and drain off the excess oil.
- Fry some cumin seeds over low heat until it crackles,
- Add the chopped ginger, garlic, and green chili until aromatic.
- Return the tomato-onion paste to the pan.
- Add the potatoes and cauliflowers.
- Season with turmeric powder, chili powder garam masala, and coriander powder.
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and cook over low heat until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Season with some salt.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves.
For more tips on this recipe, click here to the original article!
Source: Taste of Asian Food. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.