This article is inspired by a fantastic Chinese tofu recipe which I ordered at a local Chinese restaurant recently. It is a combination of tofu, mushrooms, minced meat, and spinach. It is not only tasty but has the balance nutrition and most of all, quite easy to prepare at home.
Here is my recipe after making some improvisation, which I cook tonight for dinner.
The result turned out to be incredible, with the addition of Zha Cai (a Chinese preserve vegetable). It is very delicious with steamed rice, or make it less salty to become a stand-alone dish.
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 100g chicken breast meat (or pork)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (15g) diced Zha Cai
- 50g shimeiji mushroom (after removing stem)
- 1 tsp cornflour (mix with 1 tbsp water)
- 1.5 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
For the spinach
- 80g spinach (leaves only, weight after washed and drained)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- Steam the tofu over boiling water for about five minutes. Place the tofu on the serving plate for a few minutes. Discard the water release from the tofu.
- Add a few cloves of garlic and saute until aromatic. Add the washed spinach and saute together with the garlic. Season with some salt and sugar.
- Keep sauteing until the spinach starts to wilt, which will take a few minutes.
- Now remove the spinach and place it around the tofu on the serving plate.
Meat and mushroom sauce:
- Saute some coarsely chopped garlic in the wok.
- Add the mincemeat and season with some salt.
- When the meat starts to turn slightly brown, add the mushrooms, diced carrot, zha cai, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, ground white pepper, and some additional water.
- Thicken with cornstarch slurry.
- Place the tofu on a plate and surrounded with the spinach.
- Pour the meat sauce on top of the tofu.
- Garnish with some chopped scallion and red chilies. Serve.
For more tips on this recipe, click here to the original article!
Source: Taste of Asian Food. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.