Tofu should not taste bland if it is properly cooked and seasoned.
The tofu is pan-fried, then doused in a sweet and sour sauce, with the intermingling of flavors from ketchup, vinegar, and soy sauce. It is then stir-fried with the crisp and crunchy vegetables to deliver a well-balanced texture and flavor.
This recipe is the spin-off from the sweet and sour pork and is a vegetarian dish with universal appeal to everyone.
Here is my version of the sweet and sour tofu (糖醋豆腐).
For the tofu and other vegetables (A)
- 900g pressed tofu (weight minus the water in the packaging)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- Sufficient cornstarch to coat the tofu for pan-frying
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 onion, about 180g (6 oz)
- 1 Japanese cucumber, about 100g (3.5 oz)
- 2 medium-sized bell peppers, about 200g (7 oz)
For the sauce (B)
- 10 tbsp (150g) tomato ketchup
- 6 tbsp (90ml) white vinegar
- 6 tbsp (90g)sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) light soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cooking wine (optional)
- Cut the pressed tofu into bite-size, about 2 inches square. Season with light soy sauce and set aside for 30 minutes to drain off the excess liquid.
- Coat the tofu with cornstarch. Shake off the excess. Pan-fry the tofu with some oil in a pan, to brown both sides. Remove.
- Cut the onions into small chunks, bell peppers into small pieces, and cucumber into wedges.
- Saute the minced garlic and ginger until aromatic. Add the vegetables and stir-fry over high heat until they start to smell fragrant.
- Add the sauce (B) to the vegetables and stir it continuously until it starts to boil.
- Return the tofu to the pan. Mix well with the sauce and serve.
For more tips on this recipe, click here to the original article!
Source: Taste of Asian Food. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.