YIELD: 4 BOWLS
This winter melon soup recipe 冬瓜汤 is the adaptation of my mother's recipe, which she cooked for our family when I was young.
I like the subtle flavor of winter melon and the aroma of dried shiitake mushrooms. This soup just hit the bullseye, and I missed it so much since I am no longer staying with her.
For the stock
For marinating the meat
- 200g chicken, minced
- 1.5 tbsp wine (optional)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 900g winter melon (600g after removing the pith and skin)
- 1 tsp goji berries
- 5 dried red dates
- 6 medium-size Shitake dried mushrooms
- 2 tsp dried shrimps
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 small carrot, about 100g
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Prepare the ingredients:
- Cut off the skin of the winter melon. Remove the pith and cut the winter melon into small cubes.
- Soak the goji berries and dried red dates with water. Cut the red dates to half and remove the seed.
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in water until it is fully hydrated. Remove the stem and cut them into small dices.
- Keep the mushroom stock, added to the soup later.
- Soak the dried shrimps in water until rehydrated. Toast the dried shrimps with a small pan until it smells fragrance.
- Cut the carrot into small wedges.
- Marinate the chicken meat with salt, cornstarch, soy sauce, and wine.
Prepare the soup:
- Prepare 6 cups of soup base by using one litre of chick stock. Bring it to a boil. (Refer to the text if you want to prepare from scratch)
- Add red dates and the mushrooms, followed by the winter melon, dried shrimps, and goji berries.
- Test the doneness of the winter melon after fifteen minutes.
- Once the winter melon has the right texture, add the minced mea
- Season the soup with salt and ground white pepper, and serve.
For more tips on this recipe, click here to the original article!
Source: Taste of Asian Food. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.