2 portions | Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp Grated fresh ginger (10 to 12 gm)
- 2 tbsps Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce
- 30 gm White miso
- To taste White pepper powder
- 40 m£ Japanese rice wine (mirin) – Optional
- 100 gm Carrot (finely sliced)
- 50 m£ Japanese sesame salad dressing (goma sauce)
- 80 gm Red cabbage (finely sliced)
- 80 gm White cabbage (finely sliced)
- 2 gm White sesame seeds (lightly toasted)
1. Whisk miso, rice wine, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and white pepper powder (to taste) together in a small bowl. Rice wine can also be added (optional). Place saba fillets in a ziploc bag, pour marinade into the bag until fillets are well-coated. Seal bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Finely slice and wash the carrots, red and white cabbages. Remove excess water.
3. Place washed vegetables in a salad bowl, add Japanese sesame salad dressing and toss salad with sesame seeds. Set aside.
4. Remove fillets from the bag after 30 minutes and pat lightly with kitchen towels. Discard marinade. Heat non-stick frying pan. Grill saba on medium heat, skin side down, until golden brown with a crust. Turn it over and continue cooking until thoroughly cooked.
5. Serve saba fillets with a portion of salad.
As a type of cold-water fish, Saba fish is also known as Norwegian Mackerel. It contains a high amount of Omega 3 fatty acids, which can help prevent heart disease and improve brain health.
Diabetes: Avoid serving fish with shortgrain rice. Use buckwheat soba noodles instead.
Dysphagia: Substitute saba fish with softer textured options like tilapia, snapper or garoupa.
Source: Singapore Silver Pages, an initiative by the Agency for Integrated Care. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.