4 portions | Preparation time: 30 minutes
400 gm Boneless chicken leg (cut into chunks)
MARINADE FOR CHICKEN
½ tsp Coarse ground black pepper
1 tbsp Corn or potato starch
12 slices Ginger (finely sliced)
2 tbsps Light soya sauce
30 gm Black fungus (soaked and cut into bite sized pieces)
12 pcs Dried Chinese mushroom (soaked and stalks trimmed)
120 gm Baby kailan (blanched)
3 slices Red chilli (sliced)
1. Mix the ingredients for the marinade well. Marinate chicken for at least an hour.
2. Arrange chicken on a plate for steaming. Alternate each piece of chicken with black fungus and mushroom.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the plate of ingredients on a steaming tray in the pot and steam for 20 minutes.
4. Blanch baby kailan for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Serve chicken with baby kailan and rice.
• Steaming is the easiest and healthiest method to cook the chicken because no oil is used and the meat is softer in texture. The use of green vegetables and mushrooms add healthy nutrients, such as selenium and vitamins B and C. These nutrients are considered antioxidants as they may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
• Diabetes: Serve steamed chicken with wholemeal mantou instead of white rice. The mantou can be enjoyed as a side dish as it absorbs the sauce and complements the taste of the moist steamed chicken.
• Dysphagia: Use fresh mushrooms and add 2-3 tbsps of ginger juice to the marinade instead of finely sliced ginger. The ginger juice contains enzymes that help to soften the texture of the chicken, making it easier to swallow. Prepare ginger juice by grating or pounding the ginger and squeezing the pulp to extract the juice. Steaming the chicken for a longer period of time (1 hour) can help to soften it too.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.