Khao Niao Ma Muang
MANGO STICKY RICE
- 1 sweet, ripe yellow mango
- ½ cup glutinous rice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1½ tbsp. white sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1½ tsp. white sugar
- ½ tsp. tapioca starch
- Pinch of salt
1) Soak sticky rice for at least an hour or overnight.
2) Steam the rice on medium-high heat for 20 minutes, until the rice are cooked.
3) Add ½ cup of coconut milk, 1½ tsp. sugar and ¼ tsp. salt to a saucepan. Stir over low heat, until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside. This sauce will be used to season the rice.
4) In another small saucepan, add in ¼ cup of coconut milk, 1½ tsp. sugar and a pinch of salt. Stir over low heat until the ingredients are dissolved.
5) Mix the tapioca starch with some water until it forms a paste. Add in the paste and stir until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
6) When the glutinous rice is cooked, spread them out in a shallow bowl. Drizzle half of the first sauce you made over the rice. Stir the rice and sauce together, adding more sauce until you reach the saturation point (usually 75% of the sauce will be used). As a rule of thumb, add the sauce until you see puddles of coconut milk, but the rice should not be totally submerged in the sauce.
7) Stir well and cover with a towel. Allow the rice to absorb the sauce for 10 -15 minutes.
8) In the meantime, cut the mango and arrange the fruit on the plate. Spoon an equal amount of the seasoned rice and place it next to the mango.
9) Top the sauce and mango with a few spoons of the thicker sauce.
10) Garnish the dessert with some toasted sesame seeds for the extra crunch!
11) Serve immediately.
Source: Prime Magazine Jun - Jul 2017 Issue. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.