SINGAPORE (THE NEW PAPER) - There are several varieties of bittergourd. My favourite is white bittergourd, though it is not as readily available here as the green variety.
White bittergourd is milder than the green one. It is a good choice if you are not fond of bittergourd but want to eat it for its nutritional value, which includes vitamins A and C.
This recipe combines salted egg with white bittergourd. Given the saltiness of the salted egg white, all you need for seasoning is a dash of ground white pepper.
This is one dish that goes well with rice or porridge.
- 1 medium-sized white bittergourd (200g)
- 500ml water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cooked salted eggs, finely chopped
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1 red finger chilli, deseeded and sliced thinly
- 1 green bird's eye chilli, sliced thinly
- Dash of ground white pepper
- 1 stalk of spring onion, finely sliced
1. Halve bittergourd lengthwise and use a spoon to remove seeds and scrape off pith. Slice each half crosswise into strips.
2. Bring 500ml water to a boil and blanch bittergourd for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat cooking oil in a pan over medium heat and add chopped garlic.
4. Lower heat to medium-low and fry for 45 seconds, until fragrant.
5. Turn heat down to low, then add chopped salted egg and fry for 1½ minutes.
6. Add butter and stir-fry mixture until butter is melted.
7. Add red finger chilli and green bird's eye chilli.
8. Add bittergourd and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
9. Add a dash of ground white pepper and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
10. Garnish with spring onion and serve immediately.
(Makes four servings with rice.)
Source: The New Paper © Singapore Press Holdings Limited. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.