Ingredients (serves 4)
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 onions, finely chopped
• 1kg pumpkins or squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into chunks
• 700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
• 140ml double cream
• 4 slices of wholemeal seed/grain bread
• A handful of pumpkin seeds
• Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan, then cook onions for 5 mins, until soft but not browned. Add pumpkin or squash to the pan and carry on cooking for 8 -10 mins, stirring occasionally until pumpkin/squash starts to soften and turn golden.
• Pour 700ml vegetable stock into the pan, then season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer for 10 mins until pumpkin/squash is very soft. Pour the 140ml of double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender.
• While the soup is cooking, slice the crusts from 4 slices of wholemeal seed bread, then cut the bread into small croutons.
• Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread until it starts to become crisp.
• Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan, then cook for a few minutes more until they are toasted. These can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container.
• Reheat the soup if needed and add salt to taste. Scatter with croutons and pumpkin seeds. Serve hot.
For an extra-velvety consistency, push the soup through a fine sieve into another pan.
Source: PRIME magazine Issue Dec-Jan 2016. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.