- 1 whole turkey (around 8 kg), neck and giblet removed
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine
• Rub the turkey inside out with kosher salt. Place the bird in a large pot,
and cover with cold water. Place in a refrigerator and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight.
• Preheat oven to 350 °F / 175 °C. Thoroughly rinse the turkey, and discard the brine mixture.
• Brush the turkey with 1⁄2 of the melted butter. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan. Stu the turkey cavity with 1 onion, 1⁄2 the carrots and 1⁄2 the celery, 1 sprig of thyme, and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting pan, and add in the white wine.
• Roast uncovered for 31⁄2 hours – 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 °F /85 ° C. Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through roasting time, and brush with remaining butter.
• Allow the bird to stand for about 30 minutes before serving.
Use aluminium foil to wrap the turkey when roasting! Aluminium foil helps to keep the turkey moist and ensure that it is evenly cooked. It also makes cleaning up easier!
"Source: PRIME magazine Issue Dec-Jan 2016. Reproduced with permission"
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.