Our FFL Contributor Jane shares her quick and delicious chicken macaroni soup that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
By Jane Ng
- Quarter/half chicken, chopped into small pieces for faster cooking (A quarter chicken was enough for us as I was planning to shred the meat)
- Assortment of vegetables: 1 large yellow onion, half a China Wongbok(type of lettuce?), 1 tomato, 1 carrot, 2 potatoes, three thin slices of ginger, one small tin of button mushrooms
- Water or chicken broth filled to 2/3 pot full. Ensure it covers the ingredients.
- Pasta (macaroni or other preferred shapes).
- Salt to taste; spring onion to garnish
- Chop or dice all the ingredients, place the chicken at the bottom of the rice-cooker and lay the remaining vegetables on top. Add water or broth and press cook!
- I took just 10 minutes or so to chop the vegetables as the chicken was pre-cut. I'm thinking you can also add in an uncut quarter chicken and it would be fine. This is how it looked before I added water.
- The best part was to see it bubbling happily in the stove after I returned from picking Shannon. The soup was almost three-quarter way to the top so I decided to add the macaroni in there to cook so save on washing. I think I would boil it separately in future so we would have more soup, as Shannon loves her soups. I didn't use chicken broth nor salt as we are used to bland food. But if you prefer it more tasty, adjust the ingredients to taste. :)
- I love to add lots of spring onion in my soup, the kids – not so much.
Article first appeared on Kids.Joy.Home on 24 Sep 2013. Republished with permission.
Article first appeared in Families for Life (hyperlink www.familiesforlife.sg) on Sep 2015. Republished with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.