What is Prostate Cancer?
Prostate cancer generally affects men over 50 and is rare in younger men. It is the uncontrolled spread or malignant growth of abnormal cells of the prostate.
What is the Prostate?
The prostate is a small gland in the pelvis found only in men. It is about the size of a walnut.
Where is it Located?
It is located between the penis and the bladder and surrounds the urethra (the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the penis).
Function of the Prostate
The main function of the prostate is to help in the production of semen. It produces a thick white fluid that is mixed with the sperm produced by the testicles, to create semen. It needs the male sex hormone, testosterone, to grow and function.
Prostate Cancer in Singapore
• It is the third most common cancer diagnosed among men in Singapore.
• A total of 3,305 new cases of prostate cancer were diagnosed from 2008 -2012.*
• About 600 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in Singapore each year.*
• About 130 men die of prostate cancer each year.*
• Based on an information paper on prostate cancer released in 2011 by the National Registry of Diseases Office, Chinese men have double the risk of getting prostate cancer compared to Malays and Indians.
• Prostate cancer has the sixth highest cancer mortalityrate in Singapore. There were 651 deaths from prostate cancer for the period 2008 -2012.
*Source: Singapore Cancer Registry, Interim Annual Registry Report, Trends in Cancer Incidence in Singapore, 2008-2012
Click here to read the rest of the article to find out more about prostate cancer and what preventive measures you can take.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.