Learning > Travel

Consular services provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs


View Original Source

Ministry of Foreign Affairs


Facebook Email

Related Topics

When travelling abroad, one may run into trouble overseas. In such cases Singaporeans in distress can seek consular assistance during and after regular office hours.



However, please note that the nearest Singapore Mission at your destination may not necessarily be accredited to the country you are in. If there is no Singapore Mission nearby, you may wish to call the MFA Duty Officer in Singapore at (65) 6379-8800.



There are limitations to the type of assistance that a consular officer can provide. Compiled below is a summary of the assistance that a consular officer can and cannot provide.



What can a Consular Officer assist in?

  • Provide you with information, advice and consular assistance.
  • Issue you with an emergency travel document if you have lost your Singapore passport overseas.  Note: It is an Immigration requirement that you report the loss of your passport to the local police and furnish our Mission with a copy of this report.
  • Contact your relatives or friends to request them to send you emergency funds for your repatriation or other necessary emergency expenses.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event you are injured abroad.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event you are arrested or detained abroad.
  • Visit a Singapore citizen who has been arrested or imprisoned abroad and monitor that due process under the judicial system of that country is accorded to him or her.
  • Help to obtain a list of officially registered local lawyers and translation services, where this is available.
  • Help in arranging for the remains and personal belongings of a deceased Singaporean to be returned to Singapore.
  • Help you during emergencies such as natural disasters or civil disorder in the foreign country.



What a Consular Officer cannot assist in?

  • Pay your medical, hospital, legal, accommodation, travel or other bills.
  • Provide loans or cash your cheques.
  • Post bails or pay fines on your behalf.
  • Intervene in the judicial process of a foreign country or ignore local laws.
  • Intervene in or act as an intermediary in disputes which are of a civil or commercial nature.
  • Provide legal advice or initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
  • Act as your guarantor or sponsor.
  • Arrange for your accommodation or for your employment.
  • Provide translation, mail-forwarding, telephone, fax/telex or other personal services.



The above information is extracted from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website:




For the latest travel notices from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, please visit:



Singaporeans travelling or residing overseas can eRegister with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here:




The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.