500g salmon, skinned and boned, cut into 5-cm wide strips
500g fresh baby spinach
250g filo pastry skin (10 sheets)
170g ricotta cheese, crumbled
50g onion, chopped
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
1 stick butter, melted
1. Blanch spinach in boiling water. Drain the spinach in a strainer and press out as much moisture as possible. Chop coarsely.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy skillet. Add onions, scallions, and dill. Sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the drained spinach and cook for a minute or 2 more. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove mixture from skillet, allow to cool. Fold the ricotta cheese and beaten eggs into the spinach.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
5. Take 5 pastry sheets and place them on a clean, lightly floured towel. Brush half of the bottom sheet with butter by lifting the top sheets and folding them in half. Repeat with the other four sheets, finishing with the top sheet.
6. Spoon a quarter of the spinach filling in an even strip along the edge of one of the shorter sides of the dough. Leave 3.5cm uncovered at either end.
7. Lay a strip of salmon down the centre of the strip. Spoon another ¼ of the spinach filling over the salmon. Using the towel underneath to lift the pastry dough, roll the dough and wrap up the filling. Tuck in the ends.
8. Lift the roll in the towel onto an unoiled bake sheet. Repeat with five more pastry sheets and the remaining filling. Butter the top of each roll and prick with a fork at 4cm intervals.
9. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until they are lightly browned and the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees. Allow to cool before serving.
Source: Prime Magazine. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.