Crabmeat is high in protein and low in fat. However, do note that pasteurised crabmeat can also be high in sodium due to the pickling process of the crab before it is sealed in a can and pasteurised.
For a healthier twist, replace the keropok with iceberg lettuce. Keropok provides "empty calories" - it is high in calories, fat and sodium, and has minimal nutrients.
Iceberg lettuce, on the other hand, is low in calories and a good source of vitamins A, C, K and folate.
- 100g pasteurised jumbo crabmeat (about 1/2 tub, available at the chiller section of supermarkets)
- 1 green apple
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 8 to 12 pieces of shrimp crackers (keropok)
- Or iceberg lettuce leaf cups
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tbs sugar or xylitol, less if desired
- Juice from a lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 coriander root
1. Cut the apple, unpeeled, into matchstick-size pieces. Rinse in salt water or water with a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent the fruit from turning brown.
2. Wash and pluck the leaves off the coriander and mint sprigs. Finely chop one coriander root.
3. Make the dressing by mixing fish sauce, cold water, sugar and lemon juice. Adjust to taste. Add garlic, chilli and coriander root, all finely chopped.
4. To serve, place apple sticks in a glass and top with crabmeat. Garnish with sliced chilli and mint and coriander leaves.
5. To eat, place a mound on a keropok or an iceberg lettuce cup and add a drizzle of the dressing.
SERVES 4 TO 6
Source: The Straits Times © Singapore Press Holdings Limited. Reproduced with permission.
The views, material and information presented by any third party are strictly the views of such third party. Without prejudice to any third party content or materials whatsoever are provided for information purposes and convenience only. Council For The Third Age shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person accessing or acting on any information contained in such content or materials. The presentation of such information by third parties on this Council For The Third Age website does not imply and shall not be construed as any representation, warranty, endorsement or verification by Council For The Third Age in respect of such content or materials.